Saturday, December 15, 2012

Kwa heri Africa


I thought my last entry would be the last blog post I made in Africa, but I realized I had things that I wanted to remember.  I’ve done a really poor job at keeping a journal this semester so this blog has been a place for me to write down experiences and things I want to remember.  That may explain why I have so many blog posts about everything imaginably possible, my blog has become my makeshift journal.

Last night, after supper, we went around in a circle and each shared our favorite memory from the semester and how we have felt we have changed this semester.  It was such a great time reminiscing.  There were so many memories that had slipped to the back of my mind and so many memories that bring a smile to my face.  It was really great to hear how everyone has been impacted by Africa and what he or she want to bring home. 

My favorite memories (I shared three) were: (1.) Dung day and meeting the young Maasai boy who gave me the vulture feather.  This was one of my favorite memories because it was really the first time I interacted with someone on a personal level in Africa.  We didn’t speak the same language but we had a great afternoon and became friends in a way.  It just showed me that wherever people come from, they have things in common and can be friends.  (2.)  My second memory was playing the Hadzabe girl for pretty much the same reason as the first memory.  It really touched me to be able to play and have fun with a girl who I will never see again or didn’t even know her name.  It was powerful in a way I cant fully describe.  (3.) In Lake Nakuru National Park, one of our game drives it started pouring and we all had our hoods up.  After about 10 minutes of this, I gave up on hoods because I was getting wet anyways and it was the most fun I have ever had on a game drive.  Standing in the rain, getting soaked, not caring about seeing animals but just enjoying the time.  Plus we saw an amazing rainbow! 

As for the way I changed, I don’t think I fully know the full extent but I’ll try to explain.  So to everyone I have met in Tanzania and Kenya, America is this great beacon of hope and knowledge.  America can’t do much wrong in most peoples’ eyes and everyone wants to visit or live in America.  This has really showed me the responsibility America has to be a positive role model.  America needs to be a role model for sustainability and using the resources we abundantly have for good use.  There is no way we can promote sustainability or anything for that matter in other countries if we don’t back up our words with actions.  Therefore, I guess I’ve changed in that I have a new passion and hope for America, I have a passion that we can become a role model for the rest of the world.  Wherever I live, I want to live my life so that it positively impacts not only the people around me, but also my friends in Africa. 

Today we had a debrief with the staff and talked about what things worked, what things needed to be changed and what we were grateful about.  Afterwards, the center director, Okello, gave us a blessing.  He told us that the way he strives to live his life is guided by three principles: be happy, be good, and do good.  After giving us that blessing he told us that he no longer sees us as Americans, but first as brothers and sisters and second as children of the world.  I really like this concept of being children of the world.  It goes along with what I have learned throughout this semester about living positively and working to ensure that all my brothers and sisters around the world have access to whatever they need.  It makes me feel more connected to the global community, which I think is a great blessing. 

I guess that’s it.  There is no easy way to wrap this up.  I have so many stories and things that I have been pondering.  So many new thoughts and new ideas.  All I know is that I want to hold the things I have learned with me forever, I don’t want to forget these things.  I want to hold Tanzania and Kenya in my heart.  I don’t know how to sum up a semester of memories, experiences, emotions, sights, sounds, and people into one blog post.  It’s impossible.  I don’t think I will even be able to process everything for a long time.  I’m just so grateful for everything I have seen, experienced, for everyone I have met, for everything I have learned. 

I’ve been so blessed by Tanzania and Kenya.  God has been by my side every step of the way and his presence has been so evident.  God is good.  God is good in Tanzania.  God is good in Kenya.  God is the same here in Africa; God is still a God of love who cares about his people and creation.  I have seen him in the trees and walking alongside the road, I have seen him herding sheep, I have seen him gathering water, I have seen him playing with children.  The world is God’s and I thank him first and foremost for this opportunity.   

1 comment:

  1. I hope you read your comments after your return home. I spoke with your mom and Friday...I know how excited and happy she is to see your beautiful face on Monday at MSP airport. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts. Have a Blessed Christmas with your family.
    Sherry B. Olson

    ReplyDelete