Saturday, October 13, 2012

Home Stay


Today I lived like a Tanzanian.  Or actually, I lived like a guest in a Tanzanian house.  I definitely did not work as hard as a Tanzanian. 

Today, we had our home stays! We were paired up, I was with a girl named Jesi, and were dropped off at assorted Tanzanian homes around Rhotia around 8 am and picked up at 5 pm.  It was such a neat experience, very eye-opening. 

Jesi and I were told we would be going to the home of Mama Aziz, however when we got there, there was no Mama Aziz.  We found out later that Mama Aziz was actually in a different region of Tanzania.  I’m not sure where Baba Aziz (Father) was, if I understood the Swahili correctly, he was with Mama Aziz as well.  Anyways, we were dropped off and met by about nine children ranging from the ages of 16 to 1 years old.  At first Jesi and I thought all these children were in the same family because we would ask “kaka yako”, “dada yako” (your brother or your sister) and they would all respond saying yes.  As the day went on and we got more information, we realized that only three of the children were in the family we were staying with and the rest were neighbor children. 

The children in our family are named Mwanahawa, she is 16, Azama, she is 13, and Sheban, I believe he is 9 but I never got a straight answer.  The assorted other children were Joesy, she is 12, Godi, he is 2.5, Martini, he is at most a year old, Paulina, who is 15.  There were three to four other boys who would trickle in and out but I never got their names or ages.  So it was Jesi and I with a whole lot of kids for a while until the neighbor, Mama Godi (Godi and Joesy’s mother) came to check on us.  Mama Godi also helped make lunch.   Jesi and I decided at the end of the day that from the outside it looked like we were babysitting all of the kids, but they were actually babysitting us. 

The language barrier was really funny.  Any of the Swahili I have learned conveniently decided to leave my head today.  The kids go to school and all the schools teach English, but they didn’t know enough to help with the language barrier.  We all often ended up just laughing at the horrific Swahili that would come from Jesi or I.  Sign language was our best friend today. 

When we got there the girls served us chai (tea, but not like the chai tea goes into chai lattes, it’s confusing), and it was the best tea I have ever drank, the three heaping spoonfuls of sugar probably helped.  They also served us these fried dough doughnut type things that are delicious.  We tried to get them to eat with us, but at first they didn’t seem to want to, they wanted to treat us as guests.  All the families were told that we were to be treated like family and have to do all the same work, but it took some convincing for the girls to let us help out.  After morning chai, we washed the dishes from the morning.  After washing dishes, we cut up cabbage and jumped rope.  Jumping rope brought back many summer memories of when my neighbors, the Costellos, and my family would jump rope!  I remembered some of the songs that we used to sing while jumping too!  I taught the kids how to play “school” with the jump rope, essentially whatever “grade” youre on, dictates how many jumps you have to do; so you start with 1st grade and do one jump, 2nd grade, two jumps and so on. 

We brought the family’s two bags of food as compensation for putting up with us all day.  In the bags there was corn flour, salt, tea, sugar, rice, cooking oil, laundry soap, milk, meat, cabbage, tomatoes, and onions.  For lunch, Mama Godi came over and helped us with lunch.  With us helping in very insignificant ways, we made this cabbage dish with tomatoes and onions, rice, and ugali.  Ugali is a staple in East Africa.  Its corn flour and water that gets really sticky and you eat it by rolling it up into a ball and dipping it in whatever you want. Ugali has no taste, but its quite filling.  To be polite, I ate way more ugali than I ever wanted to and ever want to again.  I just kept stuffing it down.  The cabbage dish was incredible; I want to try to make it at home.  The rice was good but we were served the ugali and cabbage first so I was already stuffed when the rice was served.  Once again, I forced myself to eat more rice than I really wanted. 

After lunch, it was nap time!  At first I didn’t know if the girls offered us naps because we looked tired, but talking to my fellow students it sounds like everyone was offered a nap so it must be fairly standard for Tanzania.  We were shown to the parent’s bed and told to lie down, for a little while there were 6 of us in the bed as the kids all wanted to join us.  After our short nap, we started cooking again, or watching as the girls cooked.  They were cooking peanuts in sugar and rolling them into balls to sell at the market.  They were delicious!  You had to roll the mixture into balls when they were still extremely hot.  Jesi and I were kinda wimps but it was really hot! The girls would just grab the peanuts and roll them up without any hesitation.  After cooking a little more, it was time for chai again! I think this was only for our benefit because no one had chai this time except for us.  After chai we washed more dishes and jump roped some more.  Soon it was time to go and the day had flown by!

The kids were so much fun.  We sang songs with them and laughed a lot.  They really enjoyed pictures.  Once they found out I had a camera, I had no chance to taking any photos for myself.  The boys especially loved the camera.  I have loads of pictures of the boys doing action shots of them diving for soccer balls and posing with the cat.  The kids took so many pictures that my memory card filled up!  Most of the time I didn’t even know where my camera was exactly, which may not have been smart, but hey I got it back at the end of the day! I’m thinking right now of a lecture my Uncle Russ gave to me before leaving about trust and safety in different countries…sorry Uncle Russ, that kinda slipped by the wayside today with my camera.  The little boy, Godi, was so funny.  He folled Jesi and I around all day, repeating anything we said.  The family had a pole to tie their goat up and at one point, we looked over and Godi was tying himself to the goat pole and just lying on the ground! It was hilarious!

I was so impressed with these children.  Here they are, taking care of the other kids and all of the chores as their parents are away and the oldest is 16 years old.  They do all the chores without complaining or hesitation; it’s just what needs to be done.  Sometimes it hits me how different Tanzania and the US are, for instance, the kids basically did chores all day with only a few breaks for a little playing.  I know when my brother who is 13 is asked to do chores; it takes so much pushing and insistence before anything gets done.  Also, these kids have so little but they just make due.  Their house consisted of two rooms to sleep in, which were like the size of a bathroom in my house and a smaller lean-to type building where they tie the goats up at night and cook.  The kids don’t have any possessions or toys, but they still occupy themselves and seem to have a lot of fun.  Times like this can make me feel guilty that I come from a country of such opulence and opportunity.  We were debriefing afterwards and were all sharing the same sentiments, but we also talked about how guilt doesn’t do much good.  Instead of feeling guilty, we need to channel that into action and do things for other people, to make sure other people have their needs met and are happy. 

These kids were incredible.  They were so cute and funny, but so self-sufficient.  The girls did most of the cooking, except for lunch when Mama Godi helped some.  Jesi and I were talking and it was fine to live like this for a day, but to live like that every single day would be really hard.  The kids are such hard workers.  Mwanahawa, the oldest girl, was essentially the mother, taking care of the dishes, the cooking, the kids, and all of the other chores, as well as being a gracious host to Jesi and I.  Sometimes I idealize the Tanzanian lifestyle, thinking how great it must be to live so simply, but I’m coming to realize that living like this is really hard and I don’t know if I could ever make it.  I really like aspects of their communal living though.  Mama Godi wasn’t the mother of the kids in our family, but she helped make sure everything was running smoothly as well as taking care of her own family.  At one point, another man from the village came over and helped the boys take down and move the toilet to a different location.  While the people seem to be really self-sufficient, helping each other out seems to be a huge priority, and something that just comes naturally.  I like that aspect of Tanzanian living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment