Thursday, October 4, 2012

Prayer Request for the Roomies

Hey there!  I hope all of you are doing well.

I need to call on all those prayer warriors back home.  My poor bandamates are struggling health wise, in fact most of the camp is currently experiencing or just getting over having a cold, including myself.  My bandamates are struggling though.  I don't think I've talked much about my bandamates.  There are four of us in our humble banda.  Elaine is from Massachusetts and goes to Havard Extension, Manasi is from California and goes to Williams College in Massachusetts, and Kylie is from Wisconsin and goes to the University of Wisconsin Madison.  All three of them are great.  Last week I was feeling pretty lonely and convinced I wouldn't make any friends here and unsure if I wanted to make friends.  However, my bandamates have always been great.  We like breaking out into loud singing of Disney songs which sometimes concludes with standing on chairs and trying to jump on the top bunkbeds... I have really enjoyed getting to know these three girls.  We're all pretty different, but so far its worked out well.  Elaine doesn't have much experience with Disney movies so Kylie and I are making it our mission to educate her on the finer points of Disney.  Last night we watched "Sky High" and last week we watched "Pocahontas".

Now to the prayer requests.  Elaine was the first person in camp to get a cold, which was about two weeks ago.  Since then both Kylie and myself, and most everyone else in camp has gotten a cold.  Elaine seemed like she was finally getting over her cold when she suddenly "relapsed" and seemed a lot worse.  The past few days have been bad, she has been out of it and feeling really crummy.  Finally, our student affairs manager took her to the clinic in Karatu today and turns out she has Giardia.  Giardia is a nasty little parasite which is usually found in contaminated water.  Please, pray for Elaine and a speedy recovery, but also for the rest of the camp and that no one comes down with Giardia.  On to Manasi, a few days ago she realized she had a weird little sore on her foot and showed it to our student affairs manager who told her she had a jigger in her foot.  One of the local staff has apparently had 15 or so jiggers in his feet so he took it out for her, oh did I mention a jigger is like a little worm? Once again, please pray for a speedy recovery, we dont want her to get an infection because infections in Africa are much worse than America.  Finally, Kylie has been feeling under the weather today especially.  Im not sure whats up exactly, but I know she has a bad headache.  I came back from cook crew after supper around 8:45 pm and found both Kylie and Elaine in bed, a sure sign that neither are feeling very good.  Please pray for health!  Its awful to feel crummy or sick anywhere, but it's even worse in Africa.  We are also going on safari to Ngorongoro Crater tomorrow so no one wants to feel crummy tomorrow especially.  Thanks!


3 comments:

  1. Is everyone keeping up on the malaria meds? The first symptom I had of malaria was a headache. I'm certainly not suggesting Kylie has malaria, but it reminds me how essential it is that you all keep up on the Meds no matter how sick you may be feeling. It has been nearly 30 years, but I can still remember every time I felt sick in Africa. God will hold you all. We are praying!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for health and wellness for your entire camp. Keep the faith and stay strong. I lobe reading your blog - it makes me feel like I am right there with you. Your mom is the greatest - have I mentined that lately?!?!?!? Sherry Olson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl!
    I will be praying for you all!
    I have loved reading your blog! I hope it continues to go well!!
    I have been praying that who you are with you feel like family so you can support one another and it sounds like it is going well!!!
    Blessings,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete